Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family History Society
Since its foundation in 1978, the Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family History Society has had nearly 20,000 members, with a core membership in excess of 5,000 per annum.
Annual membership of the Society is only £18 and this subscription allows members unlimited access to our Centre's microfiche and high-magnification microfilm readers; networked computers, with IGIs and censuses and quick access to the most popular genealogical websites on the Internet.
The Society holds regular meetings throughout the year, covering many topics of interest to family historians. Meetings are held in Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Elgin, Glasgow and in the West Midlands of England. The Society is also present at many other events both in the NE of Scotland and further afield.
The Society publishes a quarterly journal which is issued free to members. Articles of interest are published, as well as reports of meetings and lectures and information and enquiries from members. Contributions, new ideas, queries and letters to the editor are welcomed. Members may advertise (free of charge) their members' interests (family names) and help wanted. We exchange Journals with over 165 Societies worldwide.
The Society publishes and distributes a large number of publications and details of all the Society's own publications are available, see our website.
We can carry out research for members who live outwith the Aberdeen area, for details of our charges see our website.
The Library occupies the linked basements of 158, 160 and 164 King Street and is accessed via a stair from the Research Centre. There are around 5,500 books on its shelves, plus journals from other societies worldwide, magazines, ancestor charts and maps.
We are systematically recording and publishing all the Monumental Inscriptions of NE Scotland. All these MI publications have been indexed and the total number of names recorded in our database is over 125,000. This MI Index may be consulted online. Other indexing projects carried out by members include the 1851 and 1861 census for the whole of Banffshire.
Our Research Centre was first opened at 152 King Street, Aberdeen in 1986. By 1993, these premises had become too small and in July of that year the Society moved six doors up the road to larger premises at 164 King Street. Just three months later, the burgeoning Society acquired the neighboring shop at 160 and in January 2002, leased 158 as well. The basements of the three properties were linked to provide a walk-through library. In March 2008, the Society bought 136 King Street and transferred some administration and storage from 164 to this new property.
The Society has an annual award, named after Bruce Henderson, who was Chairman in 1981-83. It is in the form of an inscribed salver and is given to a member who has submitted an outstanding work with North-East content. This can be a family history, or a record of a parish, community, church, farm and so on. It should be typed, single-sided, as a finished article with illustrations and photographs. The winning work will also be published by the Society.